[NTLK] Backlight lifetime question

From: Steven Frank (stevenf_at_panic.com)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 04:45:08 EDT

I've read many times about the limited lifetime of the Newton's
backlight, but most of what I've read has been a little vague.

My question is, does it eventually stop working completely, or does it
just get very dim? When it gets dim, does it still provide enough
illumination to see the screen in the dark?

Just wondering if anyone has seen an expired backlight, and could give a
little first-hand account.

The Newton's screen is hard for me to see indoors, so I like to use the
backlight, but all the talk about its limited life-span has me a bit
paranoid. I know it can be replaced, but I'd like to not have to do
that in, say, a couple weeks. ;)

Steven