Re: [NTLK] [OT] apple does server

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 19:54:51 EDT

it's been said here before, but putting rack ears on a
computer doesn't make it a server...
Where's the hot-swappable power-supplies? RAID-5
Hot-Swappable SCSI drives? Heck...are the drives that
are in there even SCSI at all? (I would never consider
a server with anything other than SCSI drives)
Perhaps in a homongenous environment of pure Macs,
this would be of some use. But in today's world of
Blade servers and SANs, I think it's a little bit of
ancient history! We have been playing with RLX blade
servers (24 servers in a 3U configuration. So far, we
have 250 700+Mhz Transmeta CPu in the rack)
and at under $1000 per blade, a damn sight cheaper
than $3,000 from Apple (and before someone starts
moaning, these blade servers are all running
RedHat...which has everything that the Apple servers
are advertising)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
--- aaron tester <desktop_at_lavalink.com.au> wrote:

> fancy...
>
> http://www.apple.com

=====
Roll that beautiful bean footage!