[NTLK] Re - battery reconditioning

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 18:54:17 EDT

> I take the Newton somewhere, and take it out, and it is
> dead. If I jiggle it, or squeeze, or pop the battery out and put it in
> again, sometimes it resets, and tells me all power was removed.

This is a fairly common problem. Usually this is supposed to be
caused by the fact that the contact isn't reliable. People have
fixed this by bending the contact springs inside the Newton.
It seems that some packs are a little bit shorter than others.

> The other pack does not have this problem, but it will not hold a
> charge for very long, since I bought it as a spare when I bought the
> Newton and stupidly never used it. Can someone explain to me exactly
> how to recondition it?

See the hardware section of the site below.

> I also have the original battery cage. If I buy four NiMH batteries,
> charge them in an external charger, and put them in the cage, will
> this work (as long as I don't apply AC), or do I have to do something
> else as well?

It will work, even if you *do* apply AC. However, the Newton will
think it is powered by alkalines. You can discharge Alkalines to a lower
voltage than NiMH's, so the battery warning will usually not come in
time and the Newton will turn off without warning. There is software out
there that let you fix this (I think it's Nick's SoftCharge).

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

PS How do your children like *real* handwriting recognition ? :-)