Re: [NTLK] installing without serial?

From: Michael 'Mickey' Sattler (michael_at_GeekTimes.com)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 12:05:32 EDT

At 11:13 -0400 5/5/02, Peter Cameron wrote:
>on 5/5/02 10:59 AM, pete_schindler at pete_schindler_at_rogers.com wrote:
>
>> What ways are there to install packages without a serial cable,
>>starting from
> > a bank newton 2100 (ie no NIE, etc)?
>
>Assuming you meant "blank". You pretty much have two choices. Beam
>packages from another Newt. Install packages on a card in another Newt and
>move the card to your Newt.

Find a Mac with IrDA and beam from that Mac. Includes reasonably
modern PowerBooks, some iMacs (I've heard), and any deskbound Mac
with an IrDA add-on device. Good luck.

If you're local to me I'll be glad to be the other MP/card should you need it.

BTW, I *think* that the generic Apple Peripheral Cable (i.e.
ImageWriter cable, aka Serial Cable) will work, if you have as much
cr*p in your basement as I do in mine :-)

Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times   <mailto:michael_at_GeekTimes.com>
San Francisco, California, USA    <http://www.GeekTimes.com/michael/>

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. -- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)