Re: [NTLK] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 06:50:14 EDT

>On 5/2/02 @ 6:23 PM, Bernie A. Goltermann wrote:
>
>In many large corporations where there's mostly Windows
>boxes you will find Mac's. I work for Raytheon and I
>see Mac's used for content development and a few of our
>executives are using Ti Powerbooks.

AFAIK, Intel use Macs.

MSFT as well...and this was before they signed the 5 year agreement with
Apple to produce office for the Mac. Now they have many more since the
Mac development has increased for them.

I look at it this way. The more exposure one has to different systems
the stronger they become in understanding the technology that is out
there.

While I will be buried with my Mac, and much prefer them over PC's, if I
had kids, I would have both systems around the home for them to learn on.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses -- many of which you will not
see unless you use multiple platforms. I say use the tool that fits the
need, just like you would in any other endeavor.

I doubt a carpenter would use a sledge hammer to pound in a finishing
nail for a nice cabinet. Well maybe once! :-)

Not to pick on PC folks, but almost every time I send a picture, but
forget to append .jpg most of them can't open it. They usually send a
message asking me what type of file it is, or can I resend the picture.

Since I've worked in so many environments,I will automatically go and try
different methods to open a file. I do this without thinking...it seems
natural to me this way...

IMHO, it is not important to know MSFT Word, or any other application for
that matter. What is much more important is to understand the underlying
concept of a word processor.

If I know the underlying concept, I can use any word processor. I am not
limited to using only Word for example.

This holds true with any application.

Now those of us who use Macs do have an advantage in this arena since we
can run Virtual PC enabling us to use DOS and the various Windows OS'es
up through XP. It's nice being able to do this with one computer. Yeah,
there is a speed hit, but for most things this doesn't matter much.

As far as which is the best OS out there. Hard to say. However, I would
say that the Newt is one of the best for sure. I love that most
background tasks are automatically taken care of for me. I don't have to
worry about file management.

And knock on wood, I have yet to loose any data went my Newt
crashes/locks up.

Heck, after I returned to using my Newt after two years of using a Palm
Pilot device, all my data was still on the Newt! It retained everything.
 All I needed to do was dust it off -- it was really funky looking. And
recharge the battery. It worked just fine.

It's so nice to be green! :-)

Sushi