[NTLK] Macs (& Newtons) in Journalism

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 15:37:58 EDT

Tom (IMNewtMan_at_aol.com) wrote not long ago (5/1/02 3:08 PM):

> Hmmmm. I'll have to ask my wife about that (Journalism Major). I don't recall
> her ever using a Mac for her classes...

I've worked at newspapers for several years in a variety of roles. I'm now
Creative Director with the AP in New York. Every place I've been, Macs were
used for page layout and for graphics, and on the Web sites for design. But
all other areas used PCs almost exclusively.

Most papers use newsroom systems whose front ends are little more than fancy
terminal emulators, or custom applications that could have been developed on
any platform. But, PCs being what ubiquitous, and the "easy" choice, it's
not hard to see why they're so widespread.

But here at AP Graphics in New York, we use Macs exclusively (except for
some mapping work that's PC-based). All our artists use G4s with Cinema
Displays, and we're transitioning (slowly) to OS X now. The rest of the AP
uses PCs.

And like Stephen, in J-school (at SF State Univ.) we used almost all Macs.
Actually, it probably makes more sense at a school like Ball State, where
(as I understand) the curriculum is very design-intensive, as opposed to SF
State, where when I went there were no design courses and unless you brought
some skills to the table yourself, you were pretty much on your own.

Nice to see some journos and j-students on the list. Rock on.

--Jesse

P.S. I've previously worked as a reporter and an editor, and especially as a
reporter used my Newton a ton. It was incredible. I got sent out on a story
one time covering a chlorine tank leak. I was able to take my notes, record
and transcribe my interviews, type and file my story with my editor, all
from the field from my Newton 2000 (at the time, now upgraded). I've always
thought it was like a swiss army knife for journalists. Unfortunately, most
reporters are somewhat tech- and change-averse, so it never caught on. But I
tell ya, the Newton was a great tool for me, especially when I had to
interview kids, who just love the thing.