Re: [NTLK] Mac OS X, IrDA, frustration

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 11:03:01 EDT

Chet Johns wrote not long ago (5/1/02 10:28 AM):

> I think I'm correct in saying IrDA has not been implemented in OS X yet. As
> only the original iMac and the older powerbooks have IrDA, I doubt it's high
> on the list of Mac OS X additions and improvements.

Sorry... IrDA does work in OS X, and works well. I'm running 10.1.4, but I
believe IrDA arrived in 10.1.2, although I'm not certain. Also, all
PowerBook G4s except the very latest 667 and 800 models sport an IrDA port.

I've never used or attempted to use it with my 2100u though. I've seen it
listed as a transport for Newtourage but I haven't tried it. And I don't
think it works at all with NCU, does it?

OS X also supposedly supports IrCOMM but I've never tried that either. The
Newton doesn't support IrCOMM, does it? (IrCOMM lets you use cell phones as
modems via IR.)

--Jesse