[NTLK] Community vibes, and Newtons for kids

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde_at_plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 11:10:46 EST

Some of you may have noticed Frank Gruendel's generous gesture
offering to fix or replace a Newtontalker's broken machine to keep him
on the list. Frank also recently sold me two MP130 ROMs to upgrade my
children's 120/1.3s, and helped me with details of the swap
procedure. I suspect the price was influenced by the fact that he,
too, is a father. Yet another reason to be impressed with the
Newtontalk community.

Bob Dawson recently asked about fun Newton software for kids. Mine,
who are much more into reading than watching TV, like
Ahorcados(Hangman), Othello, and PicoFermiBagels; they didn't care for
Newtris. I am about to give them nBattleship, though I'm torn on
whether to let them know about the beaming feature. I might also try
giving the older one YAZI, though it would help if I could find a
source for the z3 version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the z5
version is available for free download, and I can always use that if
she's fired up enough about it for me to register the app). --PR