Re: [NTLK] Replace speaker?

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 17:35:42 EST

Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:
> So for example, when MAD Max/MAD Newton plays a MP3 stream encoded at
> 22Khz, 24Kbps mono, the program (or the Newton sound hardware) is really
> downsampling it to 5kbps? Do I read this right?

No, for MP3s, the sample rate and the bit rate are really two separate
things. The Voyager chipset does support indeed 22khz 16bit mono audio
in hardware. The bit rate defines how many bits per second an MP3 stream
(or any other compressed stream) pushes over any transport medium until
it is being decompressed. For uncompressed data, the bit rate is equal
to the sample rate times the sample size, in the case of the Voyager
chipset, this is then 352.4 kbit/sec. If it could only do 5 kbit/sec in
hardware, it would sound really terrible.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --