Re: [NTLK] Contacts on iPod: it's official

From: Michael Wittmann (wittmannmichael_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 16:22:18 EST

Greetings,

having gone to the web and learned what I needed to do, I can only say
thanks for the script. Now I don't have to run through my other programs
to get my Newton information into the iPod for quick reference. Sweet!

What I did to make the script work was the following This is for those,
like me, slow to remember their unix from 10 years ago, and will seem
blindingly simple to many of you...

1. save the script to a folder (your username folder isn't too wise
because of what comes later) as newt2vcf.pl
2. use NCU to do a comma-delimited names dump into a file I'll call
allnames.txt, and put this file in the same folder as newt2vcf.pl
3. use BB-Edit Lite (freeware) to make sure that the file allnames.txt
uses UNIX style and not Mac style line endings
4. in the terminal, do an ls to find your folders and such, and use "cd
foldername" to burrow down to where you have the script saved. If one of
your folders has a space, then you have to put quotation marks around it
to use the cd command correctly
5. use the command "perl newt2vcf.pl < allnames.txt" (with no quotations)
6. wait, and then move the created .vcf files to the iPod Contacts folder

Easy, and slick. Thanks again!

Michael

On Sunday, March 24, 2002, at 05:03 PM, James R Grinter wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:45:59PM -0500, Dave Caolo wrote:
>> http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
>
> In a rare moment of productivity, I've knocked together a Perl script
> that will take the Newton's Names soup (exported as a CSV using NCU)
> and create .vcf (V-Card) files. These can then be copied to the iPod
> .../Contacts/ Folder-- See http://www.gbnet.net/~jrg/newton/newt2vcf.pl
   Michael C. Wittmann
   Physics Education Research Laboratory
   5709 Bennett Hall