Re: [NTLK] Contacts on iPod: it's official

From: James R Grinter (jrg_at_watching.org)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 17:03:28 EST

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:45:59PM -0500, Dave Caolo wrote:
> http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

In a rare moment of productivity, I've knocked together a Perl script
that will take the Newton's Names soup (exported as a CSV using NCU)
and create .vcf (V-Card) files. These can then be copied to the iPod
.../Contacts/ Folder (or imported into OSX's Address Book. But I've not
tried that.)

It's a quick hack and not perfect by any means - a lot of information
is lost during the export (such as whether a record is a Person or a
Company with a Contact) - but it might be useful to other Newton & iPod
owners out there. It also currently assumes the ordering of the fields
that are exported (though this probably wouldn't be too hard to adjust
if necessary.)

See http://www.gbnet.net/~jrg/newton/newt2vcf.pl - some brief notes on
usage are at the top of the file which should give those of you with
access to Unix or MacOS X who are Terminal/command-line savvy enough
information to use it.

(Ideas on improving the handling of some of the other exported
fields is welcome, though I make no promises. Just drop me an email.)

James.