Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth on Newton

From: gopi_at_sin.sloth.org
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 21:47:59 EST

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Jim Witte wrote:
> The impression I've gotten from a few usenet posts I've read is that
> the bluetooth manufactuers by and large don't seem particularly
> interested in people who want to buy less than 100k of these things..

http://www.btdesigner.com/modules.htm

Just got three of the Mitsumi WML-C06N devices shipped to me - they came
from the UK. They are USB or serial devices. I have not attempted to make
them work yet...

On the more interesting side, I discovered something two days ago that
gave me a heart attack. I bought a Xircom credit card PCMCIA interface to
bluetooth - I have an iPaq running linux, and an Ericsson R520m GSM
phone. I wanted to link them...

So, I have this card in my hands. It cost me $120. I want to see whether
it works or not, and I'm impatient - no ipaq with me. The Linux drivers
for the card are "UART drivers" - that is, they interact as if the thing
is a serial device, but they run a complex protocol stack on top of
that. (This contrasts with ethernet, say, where you have packets that you
send, and other complex interaction between the driver and the device)

Anyway, the bottom line is this: The Newton thinks that this card is a
communications device. Right away, stick it in, and as far as I can tell,
all you need is a protocol stack and it'll work. Doing, say, IP over it
would be a bit more complex - you'd need a virtual serial port of some
kind - but the bottom line is that the device is recgonized by the Newton
as a mere serial card...

gopi.

(gf2e_at_andrew.cmu.edu if you want me to read a message...I don't check this
account much)