[NTLK] [OT] The Good Old Days... (was eMates, 130s, 2100s, ...)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 09:16:56 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 3/21/02 3:03 AM, the entity known as Sushi at
Sushi_at_ragingbull.com conveyed the following:

>>> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Philip Katz wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't buy anything off ya, but I do feel for you. I'm
>>> in eighth grade and I have a 2100, icebook, iMac (bondi),
>>> iBook SE, Centris 610, Quadra 700, LC 575, and a bunch of
>>> classics and Ses (I got most of these at an auction).
>>> Granted I only really use the 2100 and icebook, my room
>>> is full.
>>
>> On 3/21/02 @ 12:32, Victor Rehorst wrote:
>>
>> Lucky kids. When I was in grade 7 and 8 I had a 386/25.
>> And the old XT clone was kickin' around. And I think I
>> still had the TRS-80 Model I plugged in "for nostalgia"
>> before its monitor gave up the ghost.
>
> What computer. We don't need no stinkin computer! ;-)
>
> We had electronic typewriters -- does that count? :-o
>
> BTW, I was very happy to get a 4 function calculator with % and memory
> when I was in the 8th grade. The 9 volt battery lasted about 20 minutes.
> But it sure beat using a slide rule.

I was just gonna comment that y'all need to stop whining and get a slide
rule! :-) Actually, I think they ought to still teach at least one course
with a slide rule, not just how to use it, but why it works. There's
fundamental math skills to be had there that just aren't taught nowadays.

(I've thought about mounting my slide rule in a case that reads "In Case of
Emergency, Break Glass")

My dad got a Radio Shack 4-function calculator (with square root!!) for
about $200 when I was in 8th grade. If you chop off an MP130 at the bottom
of the screen, that's about the size of this thing, with "chiclet" buttons
the size of my thumbnail. We got an electric typewriter the previous year.

But hey, while we're dating ourselves, I remember watching Mercury launches
on a BLACK & WHITE cabinet style TV and playing records (including 78's) on
a HiFi. Ahhh, tubes! And the more leisurely pace of having to wait for
your TV to "warm up".

And all the stuff we're drooling over today will seem just as quaint in
another 40 years or so...

- Eric.