Re: [NTLK] Word 98 doc files on a Newton

From: Jim Johnston (jimthej_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 22:09:06 EST

my personal preference for this is X-port. I don't know if it is still
available, but I used it all the time with Word97/98 files from both
windows and mac boxes. The thing I liked best is that it was balkless.
No hassles even with batches of files. Of course I took them into
NewtWorks. If you have a 2.0 try to get Availworks.

On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 12:34 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Eric L. Strobel wrote:
>

>> at the temporal coordinates: 3/20/02 2:46 PM, the entity known as Rolf
>> Brakvatne at rbrak29_at_qwest.net conveyed the following:
>>

>>> What is the best way to import and display Word 98 doc files on a
>>> Newton? Do
>>> you import into Newton Press after saving the doc files in RTF and
>>> making a
>>> package, then transfer to the Newton? Newton Press does not seem to
>>> import
>>> Word files directly.
>>>

>> Based on the discussion of a very similar topic lately, I'd say you
>> *may*
>> need to save to Word 5 format FIRST, and THEN convert that file to RTF.
>> Essentially, for Newton Press, you *may* have to 'dummy down' the RTF
>> that
>> would get generated. Other than that, it sounds like you've got a good
>> handle on things. (I'm sure the true experts will chime in any second
>> now...)
>
> Yeah, sounds good to me. (I guess that makes me an "expert" :) If yo
> ujust want to display, they you're better off exporting to RTF and then
> using BookMaker to make a Book out of it:
>
> http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/development/Bookmaker/
>
> 'cause if your RTF is over 64K then you won't be able to import it with
> NCU.
>
> --
> Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net - chuma_at_chuma.org
> NewtonTalk list administrator - http://www.newtontalk.net
> Will help you with your list problems - as long as you're nice.
>

> --

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Newton User