Re: [NTLK] Word 98 doc files on a Newton

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 15:34:52 EST

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> at the temporal coordinates: 3/20/02 2:46 PM, the entity known as Rolf
> Brakvatne at rbrak29_at_qwest.net conveyed the following:
>

> > What is the best way to import and display Word 98 doc files on a Newton? Do
> > you import into Newton Press after saving the doc files in RTF and making a
> > package, then transfer to the Newton? Newton Press does not seem to import
> > Word files directly.
> >

> Based on the discussion of a very similar topic lately, I'd say you *may*
> need to save to Word 5 format FIRST, and THEN convert that file to RTF.
> Essentially, for Newton Press, you *may* have to 'dummy down' the RTF that
> would get generated. Other than that, it sounds like you've got a good
> handle on things. (I'm sure the true experts will chime in any second
> now...)

Yeah, sounds good to me. (I guess that makes me an "expert" :) If yo
ujust want to display, they you're better off exporting to RTF and then
using BookMaker to make a Book out of it:

http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/development/Bookmaker/

'cause if your RTF is over 64K then you won't be able to import it with
NCU.