Re: [NTLK] WaveLAN card and Airport sucks batteries

From: srob_at_mac.com
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 06:34:43 EST

On Sonntag, M=E4rz 17, 2002, at 11:28 Uhr, speedy2 wrote:

> What throughput have people seen when using wired Ethernet interfaces?
> 802.11b supports 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5.5Mbps and 11Mbps. If users aren't=20
> seeing
> more than say 4Mbps, there is no reason why the link speed shouldn't =
be
> set to greater than 5.5Mbps as it would save power and the Newton=20
> wouldn't
> be able to saturate it.

Whilst I have seen fairly good peak throughput (judging by the bandwidth=20=

LEDs on my hub, a measure which is notoriously unreliable!), the real=20
limiting factor is the performance of actually doing something with what=20=

one has transferred. I believe that putting data on a store or=20
retrieving data from a store is limited to a few 10s of K Bytes per=20
second. Limiting the wireless interface to 1 Mbps is unlikely to reduce=20=

the perceived performance!

Simon