Re: [NTLK] Can you replace German OS 2.0 with English OS 2.0?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 08:05:12 EST

> Since I have an Apple
> Assistance CD in my possession which includes MessagePad 120 System Update
> 2.0 (515299) US, is it straightforward to install this to give an English
OS
> on the Newt?
I remember vaguely that I've tried this some years ago (must have been in
1996) and the Newton didn't install because it was the wrong language.
Newton System updates are used to address only a particular problems with
that special NOS version and are thus language, respectively ROM specific.
The reason is to keep the filesize as small as possible because some of the
non-volatile RAM has to be used to store it. After experience with both, the
english and german NOS versions I must say that the amount and type of
errors is about equal between the two languages and that they are residing
in peaceful coexistence on my Newton(s). I'm running always a great mixture
of german and english software and all dialoges are looking quite funny,
english questions and german buttons and so on.
However, I would recommend that you get a true english version even if you
never want to write international texts in cursive HWR.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG