[NTLK] Ethernet questions

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 10:52:24 EST

Okay, I found a 2100 (actually a 2000U) from a private eBay seller.So
while I close the deal and wait for the package, I figured I'd turn my
interest to collecting the various pieces of soft and hardware which I
want to run. First up is an Ethernet card, so a couple of questions:

1) Will the ATLAN driver presumably run with any NE2000 card or is it
hardcoded for certain ones? I have a Kingston EtherRX (KNE-PC2T) which
is a nice generic, low-power NE2000 card that I have used with an HP
200LX. Should it be recognized by the ATLAN driver?

2) I also have a 3Com 3C589C with the combo dongle. Assuming I only use
it on a 10BaseT network, would I have power issues because of the combo
dongle? Sould I be looking for a 10BaseT only dongle?

3) Assuming both of the above will work, is there a *preferred* card to
use? If this were a PC, I'd go with the 3Com in a heartbeat, but is the
Farallon driver that much better?

Thanks...
<<<john>>>