Re: [NTLK] Out of Heap space creating book in NTK?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 00:31:15 EST

Unfortunatly, I've never used bookmaker. It's always
been Newton PRess and paperback. And, unfortunatly,
paperback doesn't do formatting. That's why it has the
ability to automatically adjust to the screen size and
fonts that are on the Newton. Newton Press doesn't
have this flexibility.
BUT! Paperback can do rudementary indexing. I've used
it and it works. It's not all that good, and you can
get really screwed up if you're not careful. BAsically
it will autocreate an index based off of a phrase you
determine. When it encounters the phrase, it will
create that line as an indexable return point. That's
about it though.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- John Goggan <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> Ed Kummel wrote:
> >
> > how big of a document are you creating? I've
> created
> > documents that compile into 5mb pkgs.
>
> The input .f file for NTK is 5.5MB.
>
> > I use Windows and either Paperback or Newton Press
> > 1.1, without ever having a problem. The only
> problems
> > I hear on the list are from Mac users trying to
> make
> > books.
>
> I'm using Windows too actually. My book has a very
> large index at the end
> with tap-links that jump up to the 3000 or so page
> entries. If I leave this
> index off, it works fine. If I put it in, I run out
> of heap.
>
> I'm using BookMaker (which processes the RTF files
> into a .f just fine)
> because I am creating an automated process that will
> be done once a month or
> so. Therefore, I need to do it to something where I
> can just have it read my
> input file (RTF for BookMaker) and produce what I
> need without having to
> cut-and-paste everything (for Newton Press, for
> example).
>
> > So, depending on the size of your book, you may be
> > running into some Macintosh limitation.
>
> I tried it under Basilisk just for fun -- and didn't
> even get close. It can't
> even open the 5.5MB input file without running out
> of heap. WinNTK gets so
> close, but then fails at the end...
>
> I haven't tried Paperback though... I'll have to
> check it out. Does it
> accept formatted (either literally or with tags)
> input files? Or is it a
> copy-and-paste thing? [Just asking in case someone
> answers before I have time
> to check it out.]
>
> Thanks!
>
> - John...