Re: [NTLK] Memory Card Questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 16:01:41 EST

On 05/03/02 15:37, "Mark Faram" <mfaram_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> As one who has dabbled in the Palm world for the past few years, there was a
> list of programs that worked inside of the flash ram and those that would
> only work in memory.
>
> Is there a similar newton list of programs. When using a flash memory card,
> can one put internet(NIE, email and Newtscape) packages on them and have
> them function like they were in memory?
>
> Is there such a list or FAQ or does it matter?

There aren't such restrictions, although I've read that a few programs
required to run on the internal store, but they are usually the exception.
Obviously, other packages will work better if they reside on you internal
store, like a font package or a custom sound. Check the FAQ at
<http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/> as I think that it sometimes suggests to
install such and such packages on the internal store.

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).