Re: [NTLK] Data from dead Newton - Always Fresh Backup?

From: Jill Barrett (jill_at_vapidthumbtack.com)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 01:25:05 EDT

Sadly enough, the Newton stopped doing full backups about a year (1998!) after
I'd gotten it. I'd done incremental backups, cleared preferences, and performed
voodoo rituals, but nothing seemed to work. The last backup I have from the
Newton is a 'export everything to text' that I did about six months ago. There
were other problems with my baby, but the biggest was that it wouldn't complete
a full backup, even on a clean Macintosh (running 7.5) that had never had NCU on
it prior to my attempt.

I've still not attempted to see if the Newt is revivable. It's not going to hurt
it to wait a few more days, but I'll probably try all the methods suggested here
on the list tomorrow. Wish me luck.

 - jill

On 6/20/02 at 8:00 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:52:42 +1200
> From: Tony Kan <tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Data from dead Newton - Always Fresh Backup?
>
> Another way I do "backups" is to synchronise to the Lotus Organiser v2.1 app
> using NCU. This Lotus file can be exported to Outlook 2000 OK. That
> captures most of my PIM information. I use Notes2Notes to get my Notes info
> into Outlook. This process is a little laborious but I only do it once a
> week. I've stopped using NewtWorks since I can get everything I want done
> in Notes. I can do final formatting on the PC.
> HTH
> Tony.
>
> > That's it. If you leave the backup file, the Newton will do an
> > incremental backup, backing up only what has changed since the last
> > time you did that backup, and that's when things can get screwed up.
> > There has been numerous reports from people that, when they tried to
> > restore from their backup, NCU was spitting some errors, complaining
> > that the backup file was corrupted.
> >
> > So, it's best to do full backups if you don't want to take any chance.
> > You don't have to delete the backup file, just move it somewhere else
> > than the designated backup directory. I, for one, have an "archived"
> > one where I always keep the previous backup I did. Just in case...

jill s. barrett - jill_at_vapidthumbtack.com
http://www.vapidthumbtack.com/
veni vidi aspersi nymphae palveram