Re: [NTLK] Memories of eMate

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 12:09:17 EDT

Nice to see someone else from Maine on the list, having just joined it
the other day myself. I just applied for a job at a school district as
an IT manager, so if I get the job it'll be interesting to see firsthand
how these iBooks will hold up. I've had a 500Mhz iBook for the last few
months myself, and have really enjoyed it despite the lack of processor
power and RAM I currently 'enjoy'.

I have an iPaq that'll remain my daily carry once I get my Newton, which
I just traded my Palm IIIc with someone for. But the Newton has some
pretty significant advantages that I intend to take advantage of around
the house, such as trying to get a WiFi connection going with VNC so I
can control aspects of my network system remotely without having to lug
the iBook. I'm really thinking a combination of WiFi and VNC can make
one heck of a remote control system.

As to input devices, what I'd -like- instead of the iPaq would be one of
those new Zaurus models with the retractable keyboard cover running
Linux. Or even one of the new Sony handhelds with the flip screen and
camera. But if I had that much money, I'd already -have- the job I just
applied for. :)