Re: [NTLK] ANN: Heads up (SER-001)

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 03:37:24 EDT

Ok, I have both, the new and the old version of the SER-001.
I did not use the serial connection heavily, but from time to time and it is
in both cases reliable.
I think that the new version is a real improvement to the old one in terms
of mimimizing the used height for mounting and the improvement for better
fitting the connector to the logic board.

In general an electrical connection is formed by two parts, a male and a
female connector part. On the male part the pins can be bent, on the female
part the contact pressure to the connector pins could be lost or the
contacts can be corroded. Or the plug is not seated deep enough into the
female connector.

In case of my two Newts the male connector mounted on the SER-001 went quiet
tight into the female connector on the logic board. I checked more than one
time that the male connector is pressed completely down into the female
connector. Having this experience (now with 3 Newts)I rather think that you
did not connect the SER-001 completely to the plug on the logic board.
This would cause an unreliable connection and make the connection strongly
dependent on how good the SER-001 is fixed to the Newts case.

Do not forget that the connection between the miniDIN-connector of your
cable and the miniDIN plug on the SER-001 may also be bad. I had the
experience that some cable plugs are seating rather loose in the SER-001
plug.
Thus it is worth trying another cable.

Hope this helps to clarify the problem.

Johannes