Re: [NTLK] Alignment of "Mike's Newts"

From: Bernie A. Goltermann (bagoltermann_at_ksaits.com)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 15:15:48 EDT

Joel.

I switched topics as someone else said and I agree it's a better fitting
one then Brain Surgery.

>I dismantled ... removing about 0.5 - 1mm ...
>
>and the problem was perhaps slightly less severe but I wouldn't swear to it.

When I get a chance I'll look and see if that makes a difference on mine.

>Like other units, my problem remains in the same area of the physical screen
>regardless of rotation and I also have the behaviour of having the align pen
>routine repeat itself many times unless you tap away from the crosses.

Yes, tapping away from the crosses does work but I couldn't find the
right combination in one of the rotations possibly because my unit has a
more severe problem.

>I could continue to remove material from the screen bezel but the fit of my
>good machines is very tight to the screen - so it there any point?

I would not think so.

>I can't get over the fact that so many machines have the same fault - we
>must be missing some piece of information. I'll ask Mike Day.

I agree that there's got to be a clue as to how they all got this way.

>If the fault moves with the screen and not the motherboard it must be the HW
>of the touchscreen elements as their contacts go directly to the MB and are
>not handled by the circuits in the screen sub-assembly.

I sure of this, the fault move with the screen.

>>Thanks for the info, I didn't realize I was that close to removing the
>>screen.
>>

>I forgot to mention another gold screw at the contact end of the battery
>bay.
>
>Joel.

OK, I'll look out for that one as well, thanks

Bernie