Re: [NTLK] Brain Surgery

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 14:41:19 EDT

Bernie,

I dismantled the 2100 with the alignment error again and sanded down the
entire ridge where the case meets the screen, removing about 0.5 - 1mm.

Having cleaned and reassembled everything it was possible to slide a piece
of paper easily everywhere except at the bottom (Apple end) and the problem
was perhaps slightly less severe but I wouldn't swear to it.

Like other units, my problem remains in the same area of the physical screen
regardless of rotation and I also have the behaviour of having the align pen
routine repeat itself many times unless you tap away from the crosses.

I could continue to remove material from the screen bezel but the fit of my
good machines is very tight to the screen - so it there any point?

I can't get over the fact that so many machines have the same fault - we
must be missing some piece of information. I'll ask Mike Day.

If the fault moves with the screen and not the motherboard it must be the HW
of the touchscreen elements as their contacts go directly to the MB and are
not handled by the circuits in the screen sub-assembly.

> Thanks for the info, I didn't realize I was that close to removing the
> screen.

I forgot to mention another gold screw at the contact end of the battery
bay.

Joel.