Re: [NTLK] [still ot but friendly] was Re: [ot][soccer][or football][whatever]

From: richard_at_cyberphotographer.com
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 12:46:51 EDT

>So maybe we don't need the World Cup the way other countries do. I
>have long suspected its popularity is rooted in nationalism,
>anyhow. The British want to stomp the Germans. The Brazilians want
>to stomp the Argentineans. They all want to stomp the French. Let
>them. Why would we want to stomp Cameroon? We don't even know where
>it is.

In the light of recent events I think a more sensible approach would
be to get learnin'. Nationalism occasionally rears its ugly head in
football crowds, but by and large the effect of the World Cup is a
coming together of nations. Sport is a great outlet for international
ambition as well as other political ideas. Jesse Owens may have
shocked the Nazis in the 1936 Olympics by winning 4 gold medals but
he still had to deal with racial segregation when he returned to the
land of the free. If the US has a weakness then it is the belief that
it can isolate itself from the rest of the world. US isolation is bad
in sport just as it is in politics.