Re: [NTLK] [ot][soccer][or football][whatever]

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 15:25:36 EDT

on 6/12/02 7:01 PM, Stephen Jendraszak at stevehj_at_mac.com wrote:

> For myself, I remember hearing somewhere that we beat someone, and that
> it was suprising. So paying attention may be too strong of a word?

See, I find this all unfair, somehow. Here I am, in a country, when, when we
play, everybody in the city is glued to their TV or radio. While the stores
didn't close, it was like pulling teeth to get yourself served during the
game :-) and we lose. The US breezes in, wins a game, and nobody there pays
the slightest attention. I hope we lose to Poland. That would be only fair
and just. Lose you bums, lose! :-)

In an only slightly-related point. I just saw for the second time, one of
the best ads I've ever seen. It shows some soccer star--Ronaldo, I think, in
the airport in Japan, and some little kid gives him a Coke (yes, it's a Coke
ad), and after giving it to him, the kid bows, and he bows back. In the next
scene, he is getting ready to kick a direct kick, and he flashes back to
that bowing incident. He bows to the opposing side, arranged in a wall, and
the whole team bows back. While they are bowing, he booms the ball over
their heads and scores a goal! It is absolutely hilarious, and I had to
share it! Maybe you have to see it to appreciate it, but it is great! Tell
me soccer is boring. ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams