Re: [NTLK] Web database setup

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 00:09:28 EDT

What's your platform? OS and database. Also what's
your scripting preferences. Optimally, you will want
to use something that is solely server based and stay
away from things like CSS and XML so that Newts can
browse the site (you may also want to minimize the
page so that older browsers like Newt Hopper can
access them. That's what I did with all my sites...
Additionally, you'll want to make sure that the mime
type is set correctly on your server.
My scripting medium of choice is Cold Fusion because
it minimizes coding needs on making connection strings
and is more secure for your database server. (of
course, my server is IIS5 and MS-SQL as well) If
you're doing ASP I can help as well. And while I've
done PERL scripting, I've never done it to make a
database connection...
Ed
web/gadget guru (browse my Newton pages with your
Newt! http://newton.tek-ed.com)

--- Keith and Sharon Isley <isley_at_iowatelecom.net>
wrote:

> I'm still looking to resurrect "TapBar Resources,"
> my old website about the
> great freeware utility TapBar, but it appears that a
> hard drive crash has
> wiped out my backup copy of the website as it
> existed before. (Sigh.)
>
> Anyway, if I'm going to have to reauthor the site, I
> suppose I should do it
> the right way this time. I'd like to set up a
> database (ASP? PHP?) that can
> be updated dynamically so I don't have to hard-code
> the HTML every time I
> change it.
>
> Can anyone direct me to a good book or Web tutorial?
> I know how to do basic
> HTML, and I work with databases every day at work,
> but I don't know how to
> put them together.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Keith Isley
> Lacona, IA

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting