Re: [NTLK] LocalTalk/EtherTalk and Printer

From: Jochen Schäfer (js.josch_at_gmx.de)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 09:24:17 EDT

From: <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>

> Personal LaserWriter NTR! Personal LaserWriter NTR! Rah! Rah! Rah!!!
LJ4ML!!! LJ4ML!!! LJ4ML!!! LJ4ML!!! LJ4ML!!!
I can do that, too ;-)

> What can I say, I love my printer (it's a... Personal LaserWriter NTR!)
and I
> don't care who knows it! Except for my girlfriend perhaps ;)
Too much noise in the bedroom ? ;-)

> For those who don't know, the NTR is a 10ish year old Apple laser printer.
> It's great because it has three interfaces: Apple Serial, PC DB9 Serial,
and
> Parallel. So I can print directly from my Newt using serial AppleTalk,
and
> also have it plugged into my Linux box running a print server using the
> parallel port, and have all the rest of the machines in my apartment print
> it as well.
So what ?
The LaserJet 4ML doesn't have the DB9 Serial, but it's Macintosh compatible,
that's the M in ML.
So I can print to my LJ4ML via serial AppleTalk/LocalTalk, BUT I have switch
cables (I have only two LocalTalk boxes. Yes, I know on Ebay are more to buy
;-) and have to configure the Newton from EhterTalk to LocalTalk and vice
versa.