Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #414

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 03:15:34 EDT

> I have a query I have longed to ask for ages but don't because I am sure
the
> answer is very simple and I ought to be able to sort it out for myself,
but
> while onthe subject of extras, my layout on my upgraded 2000 is stuffed
with
> nonfunctinal buttons and others I rarely use, is there any way to hide the
> unwanted butons?
I read many things between your lines and I assume that you mean with butons
not the icons in the button bar but those in the extras drawer. Here's what
I would like to convey:
1. not all icons/buttons/programs/extension show something meaningful if
tapped. Some display an error or warning msg only but may be still very
important for the functionality of your system.
2. you should find out what the meaning of the icons is and whether you need
them or not.
3. you have not to delete icons to get rid of the clutter. Filing them under
new tabs might be sufficient for you.
4. I might be a good idea to freeze not often needed extensions or programs.
There are many different tools out to activate and also automize package
freezing and thawing.
5. Freezing of icons will help you to save heap memory which is important on
low heap machines like MP120, MP130 and MP2000.
6. DashBoard will let you create scripts to freeze and thaw sets of
applications. You could e.g. freeze all your internet related programs and
extensions if you're travelling and thus save a lot of heap.

---
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG