Re: [NTLK] Emate display ribbon damage

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 22:40:57 EDT

on 25/07/2002 2:49 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
wrote:

> All eMate owners, including myself, face this problem one day or the other.
> Unfortunately, there is no way of ordering that part, AFAIK, but I would
> love to be proven wrong!
>
> So, short of repairing it yourself (I tried on mine and just made the
> problem worst, but I didn't have the DIY guide you mention), or finding a
> dead eMate with a good cable, there's nothing you can do, I'm afraid. I had
> someone sending me an email saying that if he had a broken cable, he could
> be able to make a new one, but I unfortunately lost his email. If he's
> reading this, he needs to contact me ASAP!
>
> -Laurent.

Maybe you are thinking of a message on this list from "PCBman" (David
Humphries) who wrote thusly on February 27, 2002:

> Well, as a PCB Designer, designing and fabricating the emate display cable
> is a no-brainer.
>
> The main issue would be cost. As Joel pointed out, a flex cable will be more
> expensive to produce than a regular PC board, but I have the skill and
> contacts if enough people are interested.
>
> So, who is interested?
>
> Regards,
>
> PCBman

To which I replied that I was interested, and I figured there are enough
similarly afflicted eMates around to make it worth his while. With a little
promotion it could be good for hundreds of orders, with more eMates biting
the dust every day.

I know PCBman was busy with other projects then, but maybe this is a good
time to raise it again? What do you say, David? And can we have a show of
hands of all those who have eMates with damaged display cables?

Michael