Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Robert Locatelli (sickofthecrap_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 14:37:24 EDT

Am 28.7.2002 15:17 Uhr schrieb "Sushi" unter <Sushi_at_ragingbull.com>:
> Again it depends on your needs.
> If you want to play large sound files, or use other large memory
> requirement type files, then the large memory space is worthwhile, and in
> many cases needed.
At the moment I can't think of any application which really had large memory
demand. Except maybe GPSmap where a single map can become as big as 14.1MB,
but not bigger. I haven't tried the ATA driver with GPSmaps, reasoning that
it was way to slow at the first glance and thus I gave up completely on the
whole ATA thing. I see that a lot of work of Paul is gone into it so far and
I appreciate it as a great contribution to the Newton community but the
driver should at some point become as nearly as that well integrated as the
linear card is. Maybe I'm dreaming but in the end the whole Newton story is
gone in a few years because a much better device has been created.

The other application to play large sound files with the Newton is amazing
from a technical point of view only. From the acoustical side it is not
worth wasting time, IMHO. I prefer much more to listen to stereo MP3's with
my cell phone or MP3-CD player, but okay we're getting OT now.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG