Re: [NTLK] Emate display ribbon damage

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 14:49:23 EDT

On 25/07/02 12:19, "Andrew Vavricek" <avavricek_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Hello, I just received an emate on ebay and the display ribbon has been
> punctured by the hinge. I found the DIY guide at www.inventors-
> emporium.co.uk , but i'm worried that i'm not talented enough to do it.
> Are there any other ways to fix this ribbon?! I didn't spend much on
> the emate so price isn't an issue right now, as long as it doesn't cost
> as much as another WORKING emate. ;-) Also if anybody knows a part
> number, is it possible to order one directly from apple? Thanks in
> advance.

All eMate owners, including myself, face this problem one day or the other.
Unfortunately, there is no way of ordering that part, AFAIK, but I would
love to be proven wrong!

So, short of repairing it yourself (I tried on mine and just made the
problem worst, but I didn't have the DIY guide you mention), or finding a
dead eMate with a good cable, there's nothing you can do, I'm afraid. I had
someone sending me an email saying that if he had a broken cable, he could
be able to make a new one, but I unfortunately lost his email. If he's
reading this, he needs to contact me ASAP!

-Laurent.

choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System
V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1)
choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally,
to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular
definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."