Re: [NTLK] article - voice interfaces

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 13:57:46 EDT

> . I wonder how it would work for navigating the OS? In that
> case, I can suspect it would get more awkward than either the mouse or =
the
> keyboard. [..]

   I think in a voice-OS were to achieve dominance, there would also =
have to be some kind of AI in the navigation system, so you could say, =
"Computer, bring up the file I started two days ago to Bob.. Add text =
after third paragraph.. Let me re-enter text starting with <blah>.." =
For file creation, it would be more like talking to a secretary - like =
Newton Intelligence but with full recognition of synonyms [based on a =
full computer-processed English-English]), recognition of grammatical =
structures, and recognition of clauses, so I could say "Start a new word =
word document with the email stationary, address it to Bob, CC it to =
Alice, with subject "Code-breaking in the new millenium". Begin body =
text..." File navigation would be much more free-from, as in "Find me =
the document I sent to Bob a couple of months ago about the new =
quatum-cryptography system that Hawking theorized." Plain file =
navigation could be, "go to documents-code-bob" (it would detect the =
distinctive pause and intonation pattern when reading directory paths). =
List directories.. Open 'quantum'. List files written in last month. =
Open 'Hawking'" Oh, and the system would be completely localizable. =
(don't want to be anglocentric here..)

   All of this is of course rather far beyond current technology, but =
I'm not sure how much further, considering I figure the DOD probably has =
better voice-rec systems than anything in the civillian sector, nor am I =
sure what the current state-of-the-art of natural language processing, =
AI, and "computerized dictionaries" are (I saw a little blurb in SciAm a =
couple of years ago about a group that proposed that a system that =
cross-referenced all words in a dictionary, but I haven't gone looking =
for what the results were)

Jim=