Re: [NTLK] Cheap eMates/Shipping charges

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 13:29:08 EDT

I pretty much agree with you, Richard.

As my contribution, since I've been shipping CDs for a while now, and t-shirts for a few months, I think I've got some ex=
perience on this.

1) Ground shipping takes a LONG time. You get what you pay for from the post
office. All the t-shirts are shipped as small packets, ground service. That
means around four weeks for the US and up to eight weeks for overseas (I'm
sending from Canada). CDs are light enough to go into the lettermail stream
(even though they're not printed material... ssssh).

2) Canada Post has never done me wrong. In all the CDs and shirts I've
mailed, I think only one CD set has been "lost in the mail". I've had one CD
set come back to me as undeliverable (anyone in Florida order a CD set and
never get it? Mail me). That's pretty damn good. Post office workers,
on the other hand... don't get me started. Here in Canada they contracted
out all this work to retail store owners, so now the services ranges from
good to clueless or just bad. I once had the manager of a retail postal
outlet tell me that a box was too small to be mailed and that if he let it go
through it would "jam up the equipment" when they sorted packages. He said
that this was regulation. I asked to see the regulation. He said he
couldn't show it to me. I never went there again. I went to another outlet
and mailed the box from there. It arrived safely. I still haven't found
that minimum size part in the Canadian Postal Guide...

3) Postal regulations are strange. For example, for sending small boxes and
the like to the US and overseas that are less than 2kg, there's a small
parcel designation that's way less than normal parcel rates. But there's
no such thing within Canada. So some parcels actually cost more to send
within Canada then they do to send overseas.

-- Victor