Re: [NTLK] Battery Question

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 01:39:00 EDT

on 07/07/02 01:14, bcantley at bcantley_at_fullerton.edu wrote:

> Is it a "bad" thing to leave my MP2100 plugged in [with the rechargeable
> battery in] for very long periods of time? Will this cause them to
> ultimately come to aa quicker demise?
>
> I'm under the current habit of plugging it in at the office every
> morning, taking it home at night, them doing the e same at the house
> [all night long].

AFAIK, I don't think that this would hurt them. What is worst is discharging
them to, say, half their capacity et then recharging them. A lot of reports
say that NiMH don't have a memory effect, but a lot also say the opposite.
So, whenever I will download Usenet messages from the internet, I plug my
Newton with the AC adapter and remove the battery immediately, so that it
don't get recharged. I use it until I start getting warnings when the charge
reaches 17% (that I did change I think with SBM Options).

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer. Compare dead link.