Re: [NTLK] Urgent! Need help configuring WaveLan!!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 00:45:29 EDT

on 05/07/02 23:48, martina wilson at redpilldog_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> sorry guys we had the same problem at the glendale apple store in
> calif. cards and driver worked fine earlier in the week by way wong in
> same store location with all settings unchanged from that test. we
> figured it was something apple had done. we never did get it to work in
> the store. great weather here wish you could all be hear. now that
> would be a newton meeting.
>
> martina
> vice pres LAnug
> lanug_at_earthlink.net
> On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 05:56 PM, nemesys_at_pop.east.cox.net wrote:
>

>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm currently typing this in the Apple Store in Clarendon, VA, where
>> we're=
>>
>> having our=20
>> NUGWASH meeting=2E
>>
>> Present: Zachery Bir, Ed Kummel, Anthony Velasco, Sean Luke, myself
>> and a
>> friend of Zac,=20
>> Ken (I believe)=2E
>>
>> Now, I have my Wavelan card in my Newton, I just downloaded the latest
>> driver from Hiroshi=20
>> web site, with my PowerBook, I know the network name, and I think we
>> set u=
>> everything=20
>> properly but it fails when the Newton try to negotiate with the DHCP
>> serve=
>> with an error -
>> 60088=2E
>>
>> Does anybody know what could be wrong? I have "Apple Store" in the SSID
>> field, I'm=20
>> modifying the configuration from a specific work site, still, it doesn't
>> work=2E
>>
>> Any quick idea, folks? I will check my mail again in 10-15 minutes=2E
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Laurent=2E

Yep, that would have been great being all together!

I came back home and gave it a try with my own ABS. Just before trying, I
went over the settings and then I noticed "Use roaming" in the advanced
settings. I did turn it off and then tried to connect and it did work the
first time.

So, I'm not sure what that settings does and if it was the problem or if
Apple did something on their part. When I sent my previous email, I was
connected to their AirPort Base Station. I did notice that there were 2
networks: 1 named "Apple Store", the other "Apple <some number>". I didn't
try the latter, since the former did work, but I'm wondering what that was.

Anyway, now that I've got wireless working on my Newton, I'll be able to
test the same configuration the next time I go to an Apple store. We'll
see...

BTW, it's disappointing that I can't connect to NCU running in Classic under
OS X. Anybody else? I was also unable to see my Personal LaserWriter NTR,
bridged to my network through an AsanteTalk. Yes, my Wavelan card was set to
use AppleTalk, but I was unable to get any AppleTalk service. Is it broken
with the latest Wavelan driver?

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

benchmark n.: [techspeak] An inaccurate measure of computer performance. "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and benchmarks." Well-known ones include Whetstone, Dhrystone, Rhealstone (see h), the Gabriel LISP benchmarks (see gabriel), the SPECmark suite, and LINPACK. See also machoflops, MIPS, smoke and mirrors.