Re: [NTLK] Backing up to flash cards

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 10:17:42 EST

On 30/01/02 23:28, "Marcy" <marcy_at_marcycom.com> wrote:

>> I have a 32 meg. memory card in the upper slot, a 56K pc card modem in the
>> lower slot.
>> I use a 4 meg. card to do 'daily' backups of internal store using the
>> built-in process.
>> I use another 32 meg. card to do 'weekly' backups of the inserted 32 meg.
>> card using SBM Utilities.
>> I hate going home or to work for restoring and/or hoping NCU works. "Going
>> mobile"... :-)
>

> When you back up as you have described here, these backups are only good on
> a Newton...correct? I mean if something happened to your Newton, you would
> have to get another in order to use your backup. Is this correct?
>
> I am using MoreInfo and trying to not just make a backup, but to have a copy
> on my Mac that is in a usable format in case something happens to my Newt.
> And I labored over this.
>
> Now Contacts & Palm Desktop use each person as an contact entry. While
> MoreInfo and Affiliates treats each company as an entry and there may be
> many people under that company entry. You can enter people as well, but
> again, I enter the "Smith" family and then enter all the names on the one
> card.
>
> I like the way my Newt handles the info, but what's the smoothest way to set
> up a matching file on my Mac?

You're correct in your assumption that a Newton backup can only be read by a
Newton. Some people made attempt to read the backup files, but AFAIK, nobody
really succeeded in easily extracting info from the backup. I know of one
person which, I think, was able to salvage some information from a backup
file, but it's not trivial.

I'm not sure I understand your question "what's the smoothest way to set up
a matching file on my Mac?". Please clarify what you're looking for.

-Laurent.

code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to
perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and
design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a
programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A
self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or
of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me
why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."