Re: [NTLK] NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: Tom Sheppard (TSheppard_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 09:11:33 EST

On 2002-01-30 18:47, "Stephen Jendraszak" <stevehj_at_mac.com> wrote:

> The arguments have all been rational, and sensical. I think
> this is a issue where intelligent people can disagree. I hope no one
> took any offense from the debate.

This "hot button" discussion reminded me of my uncle who at every family
gathering would say something controversial and then sit back and watch the
family argue back and forth. Sort of like throwing a bone to the dogs. He,
of course, would not participate in the conversation -- just sat there with
a big grin on his face.

When the discussion tapered off, he would change the subject and off we'd go
again. Once I caught on to this I just sat back and watched and shook my
head at him when he looked my way. If he did this today in a mailing list or
newsgroup he'd be called a troll. The man was way ahead of his time.
:-)

A _little_ off-topic discussion builds a sense of community. It's
interesting how one question innocently results in an animated discussion of
something else.

...Tom

(So has anybody found that Easter Egg in my IMDb ebook yet (the 24 month
book)? You can read the first one I put in in 1998 that was discovered in
August 2000 at:
<http://www.magma.ca/~sheppard/IMDb/Images/Screen%20Shots/CAUSUKAU/EasterEgg
1.gif>

This same egg is in my Web interface intended to be used by Palms, Pocket PC
and Psion devices (any low end browser). Do a title search with the exact
string "Steved (1998)" without quotes. Nobody's reported it either.
<http://www.magma.ca/~sheppard/IMDb/Web/>

The new egg that's never been reported was inserted in the ebook in
September 2000. There's only 3,707 pages to look through! The person who
reports this first gets to write the next one and will hopefully improve on
my warped sense of humour.)