Re: [NTLK] NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 02:06:07 EST

On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 07:31 PM, Brian wrote:
> I have yet to see an iMac or B/W G3 in any business or university
> without a
> stupid floppy on a cable added on. Even with Novell or AppleshareIP
> networking available.

I can't vouch for anywhere else, but at Ball State VERY FEW of our Macs
(iMacs, G4s, a few left over B&W G3s, and laptops) have floppy drives. I
think I have seen 2 USB floppy drives in my time here. And, until I had
to run PC software for a political science class (in Virtual PC), I had
not used a Floppy drive for well over a year, perhaps 2. They are slow,
loud, and have extremely limited storage. Zip disks, networks, CD-RWs,
etc., are almost always better solutions. For those who do need a
floppy, though, for whatever special purpose, can still use one, and use
it in OS X.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj