Re: [NTLK] History digging / xerox parc pda?

From: Andrew Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 16:43:30 EST

That's probably part of the "pervasive computing" project that Mark Weiser was
doing just before he suddenly passed away a few years back.

If you want to roll back in history, try googling for "Dynabook". And I don't
mean the lapdog line by Toshiba, either. Or the online-book "idea" that IEEE
is pushing. Better yet "Alan Kay" and "Dynabook". Alan Kay did work at Apple
during the time that the Newt was under development. He worked at Xerox PARC
until '81 and developed SmallTalk [object-oriented programming language] there.

http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html

While you're at it, "Ted Nelson" and "Xanadu". This should illuminate the
difference between real hypertext as envisioned by Ted and what we have on the
world-wide web.

http://xanadu.com