Re: [NTLK] eMate Clock Speed?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:41:06 EST

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:41:44 -0500
From: Stephanie Maks <steph_at_maksystems.com>

>PixSolution's software does count - or seems to count - clock speed. It
>identifies my MP2100 as either 162MHz or 220 MHz depending on whether it's
>sped up or not. However, the same software identifies the eMate as running
>20MHz.

Counting as PixSolution's software does isn't very meaningfull.
NewtonOS is multithreading, even if NS task uses most of the CPU when
you count.
And counting doesn't give any information except comparing.

(if you need a better comparison tool, I can write a ten-minutes-hack
disabling interruptions before counting).

>Does anyone know how to measure clock speed within a running Newton through
>software?

I think there is simply no real way to do that because there is no
sensor (in case you have some accelerator-idea in mind).
However, you can use Gestalt to know what's the speed of the CPU is
as a float. This information is burnt in the ROM, AFAIK.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/