Re: [NTLK] Printing over ethernet

From: Aron Hsiao (thoth_at_leapdragon.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 04:09:20 EST

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 11:37 pm, you wrote:
> MuHammed Lonon wrote:
> > I have checked several FAQ's and haven't found
> > anything specific on printing over ethernet. I tried
> > letting Newton simply locatre the printer over the LAN
> > but it just stares back at me saying that it is still
> > searching for a printer. So I am asking (1) Is it
> > even possible to print over ethernet with Newton.
>
> Yes it is! (at least with a Newton 2100)
> The printer you want to print to must be a postscript
> printer I think (someone else correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> It must also have Appletalk support. Most print servers
> and HP Laser printers do.
>
> > (2)
> > Can you have an internet connection established while
> > you are printing.
>
> Yes! You can have your newton serving web pages, surfing
> the web and printing to a printer all over ethernet at
> the same time.
>
> > (3) If necessary, possible, and/or
> > better can I directly input the printres IPO directly
> > into Newton?.
>
> I'm not sure what an IPO is, but with the Newton "print
> pack" you have extra software and a cable that you can
> attach strait from the newton to the printer. Then print!
>

> HTH

To add to this thread... if you want to go *really*
roundabout, you can run Netatalk (Appletalk support) under
Linux, then spool through Ghostscript. This way you can
print to nearly any printer with a Newt+Ethernet and get
nice output.

This may work with Windows 2000 Appletalk support as well,
though I haven't tried it...

-Aron