Re: [NTLK] Misc. replies regarding battery tray thread

From: Ben Smith (QM Systems) (ben.smith_at_qm-systems.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 05:15:35 EST

Correct, a Thermistor is as you quite rightly point out is a resistor,
but the point I was trying to make is that it is not just any old
resistor, in the same way that a light bulb or positor or a barretter
(remember them from the days of valves) are more than just resistors.

> (Just for reference sake, in case you or anyone isn't aware)
>
> A thermistor is a TYPE of resistor whose resistance varies
> proportional to
> the temperature. Typically the curve is logarithmic, some
> thermistors
> increase in resistance with increasing temperature and some
> go the other
> way.

positive temperature coefficient (the type we need) and negative
temperature coefficient.

> Thanks,
> Speedy2.

I was just trying to put it in simple terms to prevent people building
battery packs with 'ordinary' 10k resistors (the pack would charge,
but the Newt would not be able to monitor the temperature with
possibly Newt threatening results.)

Ben.