Re: [NTLK] Airport on Newton

From: Michael Bain (UIDnt0102_at_macboy.homeip.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 23:24:22 EST

* ianfoster <ianfoster_at_mac.com> [20 Jan 2002 18:44]:

> I have not tried it yet.
> Incidentally, when I was using a wavelan Orinococ silver with a G3
> wallstreet, I didn=B9t use Lucent drivers, I just used Airport - its the exac=
> same card as Airport, but without the antenna block at the end. Apple buy
> them from Lucent.

This is all quite true, except for one crucial detail. the Airport
card's PCMCIA header has two(?) pins swapped, this makes it (and it's
slot) incompatable with all regular PC cards/slots. (Just in case people
were thinking of shoving their Airport cards into their newtons, and
dangling a peice of wire off the antenna port ;-) )

> But, yes, enough talk - this driver needs to be there!

How actively is it being developed? The copy of the drivers I found were
from last summer, is there anything more recent? Also, how restricted is
the source? I wouldn't mind having a peek, possibly even contributing a
little, if it would get the driver working faster :-)

> Ian, Vancouver, BC Canada. (Is there a Newton group out west?)

 dunno, but there ought to be! If not, we may be able to get one
 started.

 Mike, Vancouver, BC Canada.

--
Michael Bain           | One day I want to look through three hundred
mike_at_macboy.homeip.net | thousand kilometres of space and say: