Re: [NTLK] Airport on Newton

From: Eugene Y (eugeney_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 21:32:00 EST

Hey great to hear!

I downloaded the same package, and got an error message on my 2100 about
it not activating due to an internal error.... However, the Lucent card
showed up as an option in the Appletalk prefs slip. When I put the
WaveLan card into my Newton, none of the link lights turned on, and the
Dock app closed with an error when I tried to connect with it...

Then again, I have to admit I hadn't spent more than about 30 minutes
trying to get it work....

> I know it's been discussed several times before about AirPort/WaveLan
> compatibility on a Newton. I just want to confirm that you can do
> wireless networking on the Newton.
>
> I downloaded Hirochi Noguchi's alpha-stage WaveLan driver for the Lucent
> Technology WaveLan PCMCIA card off of his web page (provided as a link
> on the Newton FAQ) http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/.

As far as the below, I was trying to get it to connect to a peer-to-peer
network setup off my Cube under OS X. I use that to hook up my Powerbook
to the airport network, and then use NAT (actually, gNAT) to set up
network translation and use the Cube as my router for the airport
network...

So I suppose if one could get the Newton to connect to the Mac over
Airport, one could set the router to the addr of the Airport Mac and via
that, browse on outwards. Would that be feasible?

I'm still a little stumped at getting the basic card to even work,
though...

-eugene