Re: [NTLK] Domestic router with newton

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 21:17:32 EST

* Bernardo Busatto <contato_at_bernardobusatto.com.br> on Sun, 20 Jan 2002
| Is possible to do a domestic router with a newton???

| (cable modem, newton, ONE ethernet card and a hub)

| I think this is a good idea...

Err... if you are describing what I think you are describing -- using a
Newton as a gateway/firewall device -- then no, it is absolutely NOT a good
idea. Last time I looked, NIE 2 has neither NAT/PAT nor packet filtering
capabilities. These are absolutely required to make an IP masqerading
gateway device. Additionally, such devices require TWO network adaptors to
function properly, and the IP stack needs to be able to route packets
between the two devices. NIE 2 is also not capable of this.

Seriously, if you really want to do this on the cheap, get a Linksys or SMC
"broadband router" (they are not really routers, but who am I to argue with
trademarks :).

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.