[NTLK] 2000 vs. 2100 screen differences & idle curiosity.

From: Aron Hsiao (thoth_at_leapdragon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 21:09:30 EST

I'm just posting out of idle curiosity, to see what others'
experiences have been with their Newtons.

I'm one of the recent buyers of Newton 2100 units on the
market. I'm very satisfied with my units. I have noticed,
however, that their display seems significantly different
from the display on the Newton 2000u I've been using, even
though I'd always been told they were identical. Here's
what I've noticed:

- The 2100 displays are much more readable without the
backlight and are generally "gold" in appearance rather
than "grey" as my 2000's display is. With the backlight on,
however, the 2100's look slightly worse, mainly because the
contrast of the LCD seems a little uneven.

- The writing surfaces are *very* different. I don't have
screen protectors on any of the units right now (yes, I'm
sure). The 2000u has a very smooth, "slippery" screen which
makes the original stylus glide over it quickly. The 2100s
on the other hand look the same but feel kind of "sticky"
with lots of resistance with the original stylus, like
writing with a ball pen on paper.

- Also, on my 2000u (and a 130 in the house, and a Palm III
I used to have), there is about 0.5mm of "play" between the
touchscreen and the glass layer below -- i.e. if you "tap"
on the screen looking at just the right angle, you can see
a depression in the surface. The 2100 screens are much
more like my CE PDA was, in that there is no detectable
depression in the surface at all when tapping, giving a
very different, more "solid" feel to the display.

- Finally, if I run my finger down the 2100 displays in
bright light, I can make out what look like "oil rings"
(like you see in city puddles) behind the topmost layer
where my finger has been, though they disappear almost
instantly. I can't reproduce this on my 2000u unit.

Has anyone else noticed these differences? It would appear
that my 2000u unit definitely has a different make/model
touchscreen than my new 2100 units. I haven't yet decided
which I prefer. I'm checking now to see if there are
implications for battery life. Is anyone aware of other
differences? Might there be further differences between the
two products that I haven't discovered yet?

*shrug* like I said, idle curiosity. ;)

-Aron