Re: [NTLK] HELP! MP2100 got wet... what do I do?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 15:07:07 EST

Way back in a prior life, I ran a flow-solder machine
that soldered about 200 PC boards a day using a
combination of discrete components. Because we used an
organic flux, we were able to wash the boards in a
standard Sears dishwasher! That, and a little
spot-free dishwashing detergent and we had finished
boards. I've done this with keyboards, motherboards
and the last thing I did this with was an HP28S
calculator. But with the calculator, immediately after
the wash cycle, I put the calculator in a can of
desicant (you can get this at a hobby/fabric store.
It's used for drying flowers).
I suspect that if you attempt this with a Newt, you
should dry it using a desicant. NOT HEAT!
Exercise caution! and of course, YMMV.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Filmer, Paul E." <pfilmer_at_nsf.gov> wrote:

> A friend once spilled a whole bowl of chicken soup
> down the back of his TV.
> We unplugged it, took it out into the back yard, and
> hosed it off. Then we
> waited about a week before watching again... but it
> was fine. I routinely
> wash all my non-immersible kitchen appliances. I
> just make darned sure they
> are dry before using them again.
>
> HOWEVER - given that the Newt has lots of tight
> nooks and crannies, you will
> probably not get it dry before corrosion and/or
> impatience sets in. I would
> not bathe my Newt without _great_ caution.
>
> Paul F.

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -