Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re - Needs

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 15:39:50 EST

Dustin Long (dlong_at_tamu.edu) wrote:

> You plugged a SCSI device into a machine while it was running?
>
> Here's what I've been told: Don't do that. It's a "Bad Thing"

You are completely right, it is an officially bad thing, but still ... We
always told our readers (of a German Macintosh magazine) that they
shouldn't do this, ever, only we did it all the time and never lost a
drive or a SCSI host adapter that way.

> Supposedly, ADB is beholden to similar restrictions, although the power
> that an old Mac keyboard/mouse carries is less than that of a SCSI
> connection.

The only real problem with hot-plugging ADB peripherals is that you need
to re-initialise the ADB -- MouseJolt does this, for example -- after
changing the mouse, or mouse movements get unbearably slow, at least in
most cases.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de